Monday, March 10, 2008

Last week

We've been super busy this past week, between studying for exams and prepping for our trip to Texas to visit Brooke and Charlie, some of our great friends from back in Washington. It had been four years since we'd seen them, and we had such a great time at their house!

I didn't do as much cooking last week as I had planned, because we ate leftovers a couple days, and Lydia and Meg cooked a couple of evenings, so we ate what they made.  We're trying to get them more comfortable in the kitchen, and they did great!  Meg always comes scrambling into the kitchen to help me as soon as she hears that I'm cooking, but Lydia lately hasn't been as interested, so we're working on getting her more excited about cooking, and comfortable using the stove by herself.  Hell, at 9 years old I was making cakes, cookies, bread, muffins and entire meals by myself, so it's about time she gets started. 

One morning she and Meg made scrambled eggs (a good start), and in the evenings they made macaroni and cheese, garlic bread, and pasta with marinara sauce. I'm so proud of them!

In addition to those meals, last week I made apple pie muffins, burritos, stuffed bell peppers, Indian chickpea curry, hummus, flat bread, and chiles rellenos. Lots of good stuff! Be sure to check out the recipes. The chickpea curry was my favorite. It's made with tomatoes and tamarind paste, so it has a great sweet/sour flavor. We ate the leftovers for two days, and I can't wait to have it again.

No comments: