Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pesto Pasta Salad

At my favorite pizza place in Seattle, Pagliacci, they make not only the best pizza I've ever had, but also this amazing creamy pesto pasta salad with peas and artichoke hearts. Tonight I attempted to recreate it at home.

Photobucket

I wanted a lighter version of a creamy pesto sauce, given that there's already so much oil and nuts in pesto, plus I didn't want to use any dairy products, so instead of mayonnaise, I used tofu. It's the first time I've used tofu in that capacity, and I was thrilled with how great it worked! I put about a half cup of prepared pesto (yes, I was lazy) in my food processor, and about 1/3 of a block of tofu, then whirled it all together. Easy peasy!

Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad

1 lb small pasta shells
1/2 cup prepared pesto
1/3 block tofu
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained

Cook pasta, drain, and rinse with cold water to cool.

While pasta is cooking, place pesto and tofu in a food processor, and process until smooth and creamy.

Toss pasta with pesto sauce, peas and artichoke hearts. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That sounds really good and not too bad for you...I'm printing the recipe out now! :)