Sunday, May 4, 2008

Coconut Milk Dal

I've only had lentils a few times, and have never cooked them myself until tonight. I've been meaning to try them for a long time, as they're so good for you, so cheap, and so filling, so I finally got to it tonight. I found this recipe for Coconut Milk Dal on Chocolate Shavings, and made a few modifications to it for our dinner.

It was really delicious, although it was soupier than I had expected. Next time I make it, I think I'll reduce the cooking liquid by about 1 cup, but it was still very good this way. The original recipe called for red lentils, and I only had...whatever kind they had at Target. ; ) I guess brown? I'm not wise enough in the ways of lentils to know what kind I bought, but they worked!

Photobucket

I served it with flat bread, my go-to recipe of late. I love this stuff, and it's so fast and easy to make...just 3/4 cup beer and 2 cups flour mixed up and kneaded a few times, then stretched/patted/rolled out and baked for about 10 minutes. You can't beat that!

Coconut Milk Dal

1 cup dry lentils
5 cups water

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp shallots, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
6 curry leaves
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 cup light coconut milk

Combine the lentils and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, garlic, shallots and jalapeno. Saute 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Add curry leaves, red pepper and coriander. Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the salt and coconut milk, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the cooked lentils and liquid. Simmer for several minutes.

4 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

I was looking for a starch to serve with dinner and I happened to see this recipe just in time. Fifteen minutes later I'm a believer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for visiting and trying out a recipe!

The recipe does come out a little more watery, and apparently, that's how it's supposed to be. I'm like you though, and i like it to be a little thicker, so I've done it with 4 cups and it turned out beautifully.

If you can, try this out with the yellow daal (mung beans).

grace said...

mmm...that sounds insanely satisying. lentils are great, they're like little pellets of love. i'd go for a thicker version as well--the heartier, the better. :)

Vanessa said...

Oh this sounds wonderful. I am a firm believer in lentils from way back. =)

I'm going to take "shallots" to mean the oniony bulb part instead of the green stem part.