Saturday, April 19, 2008

Refried Beans

I'd never made refried beans from scratch before, but these were really easy! If you have a slow cooker, you can cook them in there for 8 hours on high. I however, literally haven't used mine in years, so I couldn't find it, and instead just simmered them on the stove all day.

Sadly, I didn't get any pictures because we had company over and I wasn't thinking about it, but they were really good! Meg couldn't get enough of them!

Update! We had leftovers today, and I got a picture. : )

Photobucket

Refried Beans

1 lb dry pinto beans
1 onion, halved
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
water
2 Tbsp shortening or bacon grease

In a large pot, combine beans, onion, garlic and salt. Add enough water to cover by a few inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer several hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are very soft.

Drain beans and reserve liquid. Return pot to burner, and add shortening or bacon grease over medium heat. Add beans, stirring and mashing with the back of a spoon until they reach the desired texture. Add cooking liquid to thin as desired.

No comments: