Sunday, April 6, 2008

French Toast

Really, are there many things better than breakfast for dinner? It seems to be one of those things that everybody loves. I remember back in college how excited some people would get when the cafeteria served pancakes, French toast, bacon and eggs for dinner (that, and they also got excited about Cheese It Up night, with grilled cheese, quesadillas and tomato soup...yum!). So as you can guess, breakfast for dinner tonight totally hit the spot!

When it comes to pancakes and French toast, Brad and I are almost polar opposites. I like loads of syrup on mine, while Brad prefers there to be just the lightest amount of syrup...just enough to lend a hint of sweetness to the pancakes or French toast, but not overpowering them. When he's done eating, his plate usually only sports a drop or two of unused syrup. I, on the other hand, love my pancakes and French toast SWIMMING in syrup. And tonight I splurged on one of my very favorite things (something I don't do very often) and put peanut butter on my French toast, then topped it with syrup. OMG, YUM! That's how we usually had pancakes and French toast growing up, although Brad thinks I'm a complete freak for liking it. I think he's a freak, however, because he doesn't even like peanut butter at all, in any capacity, so his opinion about my French toast today doesn't hold much weight with me. ; )

Ahhhh, marital bliss! hee hee hee...

Here's my French toast. Doesn't it look happy, all slathered in peanut butter and swimming in syrup?

Photobucket

And here's Brad's French toast (with much more syrup than he usually uses). Doesn't it look sad? Doesn't it look like it feels slighted? Poor, poor French toast, sitting on the side of the pool, only able to dip its toes in the syrup, wishing it could jump in and swim with the French toast cool kids. So sad...

Photobucket

I take a pretty generic approach to French toast, but here's the recipe in case anyone wants it.

French Toast

4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
10 slices bread

Preheat a large skillet or griddle. I don't have a griddle so I use an electric skillet because that way I can cook 6 slices at a time. If using a griddle or electric skillet, set the temperature to 375. If using a skillet on the stove, heat it to medium. Spray fairly liberally with cooking spray.

Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a wide, shallow dish. Dip bread slices in egg mixture, one at a time, flipping to soak both sides. Don't skimp on this, as you want the egg mixture to soak into the bread. Place the bread in the heated skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side (lift up a corner to see if it's brown enough on the bottom), then flip and continue cooking on the other side. At a temperature of 375, by the time they're nice and brown on the outside, they'll be cooked through in the middle.

Serve immediately, with lots of peanut butter and syrup. :wink:

1 comment:

grace said...

that is a beautiful, beautiful pile of french toast. i use french toast, pancakes, and waffles as an excuse to eat copious amounts of maple syrup (i've been known to actually lick my plate clean). also, i'm definitely on your side regarding the peanut butter debate--it improves an already amazing dish!