Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Faux Meatloaf

I tried this recipe for the first time today, and it was good.  It tasted surprisingly similar to real meatloaf!  The only thing I didn't care for was the chopped walnuts.  I chopped them very, very finely, but you could still distinctly taste them and feel them after baking.  I'd like to try this recipe again, but will probably omit the walnuts and replace them with more filler, maybe some oatmeal or cracker crumbs or similar.  Also, this took a lot longer than 40 minutes to bake.  I checked it at 40 minutes, and it was very mushy, so I stuck it back in for another 20-25 minutes.  I would recommend letting it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing, as it set up nicely after that much time, but would have been difficult to lift slices out of the pan immediately after removing it from the oven.   

Outside of that, this was really tasty, and I will definitely make it again!  Once I do, I'll post my revisions.

Update!  This tastes even better the next day, and made for fantastic cold meatloaf sandwiches!  Yum!

Faux Meatloaf

16 oz cottage cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups cornflakes
ketchup
brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, vegetable oil, soup mix, walnuts and cereal. Spoon into prepared pan. Spread ketchup over surface of loaf, and sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

No comments: