Saturday, May 31, 2008

Holy Fucking Shit

Pardon my language, but the title says it all. Those words came out of our mouths at least a dozen times this evening. First with the dinner Brad made for himself, and later with the bread pudding I made. We had some good food tonight!

Brad was gone all day golfing with his dad, uncles and cousins, so the girls and I were on our own. We didn't end up eating lunch until mid-afternoon, so we weren't hungry for dinner. Brad, on the other hand, had a light breakfast and then missed lunch while golfing, so he was ravenous by the time he got home. He rooted through the fridge, and came out with eggs, frozen shredded potatoes, and (much to his delight) a half pack of bacon. We don't usually eat meat, but the bacon was left from last week's baked beans, and he was positively giddy when he came across it.

He cooked up the hash browns with onions, Waffle House style (I love that place!), then threw caution to the wind and fried the eggs in the bacon grease. Oh, baby! Like I said, we hardly eat meat at home, so he might as well capitalize on it when he has the chance, right? ; ) He kept asking if I wanted him to make some for me, and I kept saying no, I wasn't hungry. Then he sat down with this glorious plate of breakfast food goodness, and I immediately regretted my decision. He was kind enough to share several bites with me, and, well, let's just say that first thing tomorrow morning, he's heading back to the store to get more ingredients, and we'll be having this for breakfast tomorrow.

Seriously. Look at it. Holy fucking shit, right? I know.

Photobucket

And then a couple hours later came this incredible bread pudding. I found the recipe here, at Nola Cuisine. If you haven't visited this blog before, I strongly recommend that you do. The recipes are to die for.

The bread pudding takes a long time to bake, three full hours in the oven, but it's worth every minute, if only for the way it makes your house smell while it's baking. When it's done, though, drown it in whiskey sauce, and prepare to be amazed. It's the best bread pudding I've ever had. Talk about comfort food.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Erika said...

The bread pudding looks AMAZING! And really, anything with whisky has to be good!

Anonymous said...

GAH that looks delicious. I love my husband dearly, but you're lucky to have a husband that can cook (just sayin'!)