Sunday, April 27, 2008

Irish Soda Bread

Tonight we just foraged for dinner from leftovers and random stuff in the pantry, but I still wanted to cook something, so I whipped up a batch of Irish Soda Bread. I'd never made it before, but had always wanted to. It was soooo easy, and really good! I think it may be a staple from here on out.

Photobucket

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together melted butter, buttermilk and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until dry ingredients are moistened and a soft dough is formed. Flour your hands and, keeping the dough in the bowl, knead several times.

Shape into a circle on a baking sheet, and use a sharp knife to cut a X on the top. Brush with a little milk and/or melted butter, if desired. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, thank you for your lovely comment you left for my Mr. & Mrs. CHeezypops:)) Oh, I love this Soda bread. I've been seeing it a lot on blogosphere lately, and I think it's time to try it out. Thanks again! Cheers from my kitchen!

grace said...

what makes it irish? are you required to use an irish accent whilst making and eating it? cause that'd be fun. :)

Cheryl said...

I think it's all the Irish whiskey I drank while making it. ; ) That's even more fun!