Monday, April 21, 2008

Chinese Five Spice Pork Chops


Tonight is our one at-home carnivorous dinner this week. Brad picked up a nice little pack of pork chops yesterday, and since then I've been trying to decide how to cook them. Most often we just sear them in a hot skillet with a little olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper or cajun seasoning, but tonight I wanted something different. This time I seasoned them with Chinese five spice powder and salt, drizzled them with a little mirin, and then pan fried them in a lightly oiled skillet. For serving, I sliced them and poured the pan juices over. Yumyumyumyumyumyumyum! I made three of them for the two of us, and it was really hard to share that last one. ; )


I'm not posting an actual recipe for these, because they're so ridiculously simple. Just season, drizzle, and fry until done. It doesn't get much easier than that.



diva said...

looks uber delicious. thumbs up

Deborah said...

These look amazing!!

michelle @ thursday night smackdown said...

my love of 5-spice knows no bounds.

Norman said...

Looks good!

Another way to cook pork chops:
What I like to do is to use something about 1.5/2 times as thick, sear it and then finish it off in the oven to a medium doneness (maybe even a little pinkish). let it rest for a bit and voila! Trichinosis goodness.

Ok I kid about the trichinosis part. It's been eliminated in our food supply (at least in North america) which is why you can now eat pork rare.

Marie said...

I found this lovely site trough stumble upon. I liked the look of the chops and would like to make them myself, the problem is that I'm living in sweden and don't know of the 5-spice. Could you tell med what's in it then maby I can find something like it.

Cheryl said...

No problem! I found a site with a recipe to make it yourself here:

It looks like it has peppercorn, star anise, cloves, cinnamon and fennel. I hope that helps!

Marie said...

Hi, thank you, yes it actually helped cause now I found an online store here that sells a spice with a swedish version of the name and the same spices in it, thank you so much, looking forward to trying it out :9