Monday, April 21, 2008

Blue Cheese Grits

I had never eaten grits before I met Brad. You know that scene from My Cousin Vinnie? Where they're in the diner and he's so trepidatious about trying grits for the first time? Yep, that was me. I mean, I figured they must be good because lots of people like them, but I just didn't know for sure. When we were younger, my mom made couscous for a family we had over for dinner, and their kids refused to eat it until their mom told them it was like grits. After that, they couldn't get enough. So given that I love couscous, I figured it stood to reason that I'd like grits, as well.

Brad cooked them for me one morning for breakfast, and I was instantly hooked! They're the perfect side dish for breakfast or dinner, and they're even great for a filling snack.

Making them this way, with blue cheese, is one of our favorite side dishes. It's so easy to make, and it goes particularly well with pork.

Photobucket

Blue Cheese Grits

3 1/2 cups water
3/4 cups grits
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup blue cheese

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in grits when water is boiling rapidly. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer as directed on the grits package, stirring occasionally. Stir in blue cheese when grits are done. Serve hot.

3 comments:

grace said...

i'm glad you've come to enjoy this southern delight. it's tragic that so many people are intimidated and missing out. eh, more for me. :)

Jenn said...

Ewwww!! I do not like grits! BUT, I love Cream of Wheat.....go figure!

And hey, do you mean "My Cousin Vinny?" I think you might....anyway, that movie is SO FUNNY!!!!

Cheryl said...

Duh! Yes! That's what I meant. Thanks for telling me! We had just finished watching an episode of My Name Is Earl, so it's what I had on my mind. LOL Don't you just love that movie? LOLOL