Sunday, March 2, 2008

What we've been eating

We have been busy bees this past week, and have eaten a lot of leftovers, so I haven't done a lot of cooking. Here's a quick recap before I get so far behind that I give up! ; )

I finally made the seitan pot pie, and it was delicious! The seitan was....eh. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, and I think the pot pie would have been just as good (or better) without it, so that's how I'm going to make Vegetarian Pot Pie next time. It had onions, carrots, celery and potatoes, a vegetable broth gravy (I doubled the amount in the recipe, and next time will probably triple it, since we like a very gravy-ey pot pie), all nestled inside a fabulous pastry crust. The crust had the cool addition of a little cornmeal, which gave a great crunch to the flaky pastry. Delicious! So that was a success. The kids loved it, too.

I also made some great burritos, and am going to make them again this week, because they were THAT GOOD. I simmered some canned black beans with onion and garlic, and made a chipotle sauce of onion, garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, all simmered together, then pureed with an immersion blender. We wrapped the burritos in huge flour tortillas, and filled them with the beans, chipotle sauce, white rice, fresh cilantro, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, and salsa. Yum! They absolutely hit the spot, and I think are going to feature somewhat regularly in our menus from here on out. Delicious!

Last night I made pancakes for dinner, using a recipe for "truck stop buttermilk pancakes". That name caught my attention, and boy, I'm glad it did! These are fantastic pancakes! The original recipe was way too big, so I cut it down to just 2/5 of the original, and it still made more than enough pancakes for the 4 of us -- and the girls had seconds! As with the cheesecake from last week, these are decidedly NOT vegan, but I'm ok with that. ; )

Tonight the plan is for more burritos, and then I need to sit down and plan out what I'm going to cook the rest of the week. We're heading out of town next weekend to go to a natural history museum and see some friends from back in Bangor, so I want to use up as much of the stuff in our fridge as I can. I hate planning menus that way, but I guess it's the responsible thing to do. ; )

And ooooh! We finally just sucked it up and bought a replacement camera battery charger, since I haven't been able to find mine since we moved. So now I'll be able to post pictures again! Yippee!

As always, let me know if you try any of these recipes, and how you like them. I love feedback!

No comments: