Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Seriously awesome salad

Photobucket

I came across this recipe awhile back, from The Pioneer Woman's blog, and I've been wanting to try it ever since. It just looked so fresh and fantastic, and wow, you can't beat her pictures of the process!

I put it on my menu ages ago, but kept pushing it off till later, mostly because chopping all those vegetables just seemed like more work than I wanted to deal with. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I finally made it tonight, and it came together SO quickly and easily. It helped, too, that Brad was washing dishes while I did the prep work, so as soon as I finished with a dish or some vegetable remnants, he'd immediately whisk them away to the sink or the garbage. Dude, I love that guy so much it's not even funny. ; )

So yeah, this was way easier than I had expected. And it tasted OMGWTFDELICIOUS!!! ; ) Seriously, it was amazing. If you haven't had this before, you need to go make it. Like yesterday.

I only made a half batch, and even after we ate huge bowl of it, there was still more than half of it left, so don't make the full recipe unless you have a big crowd to serve it to. Oh, and also those jalapenos in the dressing make this stuff SPICY, so use caution. I love it that way and so does Brad, but consider yourself warned.

Photobucket

Asian Noodle Salad
adapted from Jamie Oliver

SALAD INGREDIENTS:
1 packages linguine noodles, cooked, rinsed, and cooled
1/2 to 1 head sliced Napa cabbage
1/2 to 1 head sliced purple cabbage
1/2 to 1 bag baby spinach
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
1 small bag bean sprouts
3 sliced scallions
3 peeled, sliced cucumbers
LOTS of chopped cilantro—up to one bunch
1 can whole cashews, lightly toasted in skillet

DRESSING:
Juice of 1 lime [Cheryl's note: I used the juice of 2 limes]
8 tablespoons olive oil [Cheryl's note: I only used about 2 Tbsp]
2 tablespoons sesame oil
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 hot peppers or jalapenos, chopped
More chopped cilantro—LOTS [Cheryl's note: I didn't put cilantro in the dressing because Brad doesn't care for it, and there was already some in the salad]

Mix together salad ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Mix with tongs or hands and serve on platter.

*Dressing keeps up to three days before serving, WITHOUT cilantro.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I just found your blog a few days ago, and holy moly do I LOVE it! I love seeing how you take a meal plan for a week and make things from it. VERY inspiring!

(ps - your marshmallow post was my favorite, I've always wanted to make those and you make it look easy!)

Katerina said...

This looks so good, I just bookmarked it!