Sunday, February 17, 2008

Banana Bread

I had some bananas that the kids didn't eat before they became over-ripe, so I just whipped up a batch of banana bread.  I used this recipe, which I found online, and it should be ready in about an hour.  I halved the recipe, since I only had two bananas, but I usually find that I only need one loaf of snack bread at a time, so I don't know that I'll ever make the full recipe.

I'll post an update tomorrow once I've tasted it, to give my review.

Update:  It was just....eh.  It got really browned on top, almost burnt, so I'm lucky I checked it after 45 minutes and put some foil on top to prevent further browning.  I was also surprised to find that it was really dark inside, too.  Usually banana bread has a much lighter color, so this was strange.  It tastes decent, but not fantastic, so I'm still on the look-out for the perfect banana bread recipe.  Any suggestions are welcome, if you know of a great one!

Banana Bread

5 very ripe bananas
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300. Grease two 9-inch loaf pans.

In a medium bowl, mash bananas and stir in the eggs until well blended. Add shortening, sugar and vanilla. Using an electric mixer(I used a hand-held), beat until the shortening is evenly combined.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; blend into batter. Add walnuts if desired. Divide between the prepared pans.

Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

No comments: